Monday, November 25, 2013

Day 1: New York Skyline, watercolors 12X9


Honestly, the first post took me almost three days to start. I've never created a blog like this and I'm not a art pro. Instead of struggling with what words I should put in, I decided to type what I want to say and keep it simple and sincere.

The picture above was painted last year right before the Christmas. I was about to travel to New York City where I'm always passionate about. Due to the holiday sales at Michael's, I bought an artist tool kit that included some brushes, sample of watercolors and acrylics, a small pallet and crayons. At that point, I was going to visit my friend who just arrived in New York and giving him a self-painted gift would be a wonderful idea.

By searching several New York skyline in Google, I surprisingly found out amazing artworks of an artist, Jessica Durrant. Her painting was so romantically modern and colorfully enthusiastic that I decided to copy her techniques. Since it was the first time to do watercolor, I couldn't control the time when the color started to dry up. You can see my work not as fluent as it should be, especially the dark mess in the middle. Also the proportion of the color and water is essential and with time passing by the color will be fading away a little bit. Putting a dark blue a week ago could give you just a blue afterward. The most difficult part of watercolor painting is that you can't erase what you've done.You can only fix it like carefully dipping more water on the original painting but the color would turn into something else you may not like.

It only took my two hours to get it done and didn't cost me too much watercolor paints.I like the way I drew the outline with the black pen and the tone of the illustration. For some reason, my friend disliked my work so it is just hanging on the wall in my bedroom. Couple days ago, someone wanted to pay me $3 for my first-amateurish watercolor painting as an "you can sell your artwork for a living" encouragement. I turned him down though. I thought my work worth more than a piece of green paper, it showed the starting point on the path to a great artist.

The pictures below are the artist tool kit.



Here is the link of Jessica's website: http://www.jessicadurrant.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment