Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Day 4: Figure Drawing Techniques

Charcoal 18x24
Pencil 9x12

I've been practicing portrait and figure drawing for a while, and I find myself pretty good at capturing the beauty of human.The two drawing above are what I did in my drawing class.The very top one was done by charcoal which is an amazing media creating great values between black and white. It turned out to have really dirty hands, but the process was enjoyable. Except for the outline of the female figure I drew the values by my fingers. I left the area that was the brightest and created the little details with fingers rubbing the paper. One good thing about charcoal drawing is that it could give what you want right away. With the saturated black and pure white, you will draw the most beautiful values on the paper. The next one was done by pencil and not like charcoal, pencil drawing needs more time to develop 3D effect.The teacher told me that I should have the basic outlines before I start the details like eyes and hands and that I can always exaggerate the features of female like the breast and waist.

I highly suggest you to try charcoal sometime!

Also I find that there are tons of drawing techniques out there. I'd like to share some of them with you.

Figure drawing from life using the reilly techniques online class(Free):
https://www.udemy.com/figure-drawing-from-life-using-the-reilly-technique/

My drawing tutorials:
http://mydrawingtutorials.com/category/figure-drawing/

The Human Figure(Dove Anatomy for artist):
a really classic book, you can find it at Amazon for $7.16.



No comments:

Post a Comment